A Rare Glimpse

Saturday, May 07, 2005

Flies everywhere...yuck

This past week has been quite interesting to say the least. I started a drawing and painting art class, which has been very enjoyable. Nice to be able to use the other side of my brain, ha ha. I'm used to doing drawing and art work in black and white (photography) or else in gray scale (pencil-type drawings), so it is taking me a few days to get used to oil paint and many shades of all the colours of the rainbow, as well as transfering life-sized objects onto a large canvas. Maybe I'll see if I can get a digital picture of my finished still life.

What made this week almost intolerable was the insane numbers of phantom midges (also known as fishflies). Literally, there were millions of these flies everywhere; I couldn't walk to class without being covered in the flies. Luckily, these flies don't bite and their life span is only 6 days. But I was not looking forward to walking through clouds of flies each morning for the whole summer! Thank goodness they are starting to go away after a week. I look forward to riding my bike without having to worry about flies in my face, my mouth, my hair, my clothes...he he.


I've got a brand new housemate for the next few months; she's a friend of a friend who I am subletting a room from. She's very nice, easy-going, so that is definitely a God-send. :)